Computer Checklist for New Employees of the University Library
Please let us know the following information as soon as an employee is hired.
- Employee Name
- Uniqname (if they already have one)
- Start Date
- Contact Name
If we need to order a new computer or new software, it can take several weeks to arrive.
- Is employee an existing UM employee with a uniqname?
- If yes, what e-mail system are they using? (Exchange, IMAP, GroupWise)
- If no, they need to give us their uniqname as soon as it is assigned.
We cannot set up any access for them until we have their uniqname.
- What computer will they use?
- Mac or PC? DSS should reimage or clean-up existing computer (we need the serial number) or set up new computer for new user.
- What printer(s) will they be using.
- What network drives do they need to access?
- Does employee need access to any group space on the Novell network? If so, which groups?
- Do they need an Exchange account?
- Do they need access to a FootPrints project? If so, which one?
- If Aleph access is required, send request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special software needs?
- Do they need any special software? DSS needs to be notified in advance for licensing purposes.
Please set up a meeting with Desktop Support Services and the new user as soon as possible to discuss the following:
- Orientation to Library computing environment
- Security and passwords
- How to log in
- Access to network drives
- How to back up data
- Network drives
- CD/DVD, USB drive
- Computer basics (if unfamiliar)
- Where to get help